06 January 2010

Where does he get those wonderful toys??

I love electronics.....

I really do. I know feck all about them, and how they work and what all the different numbers, digits and Z's and X's on them mean... but I love them. Shiny plastic and metal, cool whirring noises, clicking, flashing lights... I'd take LSD and play with an MP3 all day long if I could.

Must be a by-product of being raised on a diet of Bond movies, but god damn but gadgets are great! :D

I never thought I'd bother with a laptop. I realyy didn't think I needed one for a long time as I could (supposedly) easily access UCC's own computers.

And then I went into third year. When every piece of ram was dedicated to just turning the computer on and eventually logging in after 10 minutes of standing around like a complete tit.

And then there was the small matter of being up very late on the family computer and a few incidents of waking other inhabitants of the house...... Not to mention the dog never went to sleep if I was up... Which was most nights...

Those who know me will kow why I was up so late so often. Heck, I still am.
Let's just say 6 hour time difference and a mild dose of wanting to talk to someone as often as possible....

I love this laptop to bits. It's a Toshiba Satellite 450 Pro. Nothing fancy but it's light, cheap, and reliable. Sure, the ram could be better, but so could the world, right?
It is ostensibly for college work, and indeed, it has saved my bacon repeatedly so far in it' short service history... But mostly I use it for pissing around on the net and also chatting with people who are obscene distances apart.

A quick run down of what I am amassing in the electro department. The Lappie, or laptop to the uninitiated; my G-Shock watch (which updates itself every night from signals it receives from an atomic clock in London or Berlin, depending on signal strength); my trusty if somewhat now useless mp3 player (which was great until I lost the bloody software and as we have a new computer all the music saved to the old one is lost, along with the ability to chop and change what I have on it), and last but not least in my growing family of silicon-based progeny....

My new Fujifilm Finepix Z35.
Why Z? Why 35? Did the other 34 not quite make the grade? Were the cast from on high by techno-priests from Mount Fuji during an ancient ceremony uttered entirely in binary?

Well, probably not.... But it sounds cool, and that's what's important, right? If it sounds awesome, then it probably is.
Right?

Well, no. That would be pretty bloody stupid. In this case,however, I am delighted to report no problems, no snags, no missing USB cable and in general that it's the best digital camera I've ever owned.

Not that hard when it's also your first, but considering the diminutive size,10 million pixels, user friendly interface and free SD card.... well, what's not to like?
Plus it outs a box around people's face when you have Face detection so, if like me you're a fan of Fallout 3, you can pretend you're using the VATS aiming system and just about to blow their heads off.

Man..... my Xbox usage really should be cut down! Godamn that wonderful machine and that wonderful Assassin's Creed 2.....

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're enjoying the laptop and camera so much. Good investments, both, and I'm certainly not complaining about you making it easier to talk to you when it's obscenely late in Ireland but merely evening in CST. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. CST... central standard time? Right?
    I do enjoy my laptop... but I must say I'm delighted with that camera :P

    Come to think of it... I might need a clean memory card when I go visit you for my birthday... I intend on taking *quite* a few photos

    ReplyDelete